We’re looking for an Assistant Controller to manage all current accounting functions while setting Modis up for success with future growth. As the second hire in Finance, you will make an immediate impact on existing processes and develop new ones. Reporting to the VP of Finance & Administration, you will own all aspects of general accounting and accounting operations. Ideally, you’ll have experience scaling accounting at a high growth life sciences company, with a sense for how to balance processes and controls with the desire to maintain operating flexibility. This is an ideal role for an ambitious accountant who wants to roll up their sleeves and shape the future direction of the accounting function at an exciting growth-stage company.
- Manage accounting department operations (G/L, A/P, payroll, treasury)
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly close process and preparation of GAAP financial statements
- Oversee the cap table and stock administration
- Serve as a key contact for external auditors and tax advisors
- Evaluate and optimize accounting processes; implement and maintain internal controls as required
- Assist in the preparation of budgets and forecasts
- Manage and build the accounting team (initially one part-time A/P accountant) as the company grows and evolves
Qualifications / Characteristics
- 7+ years of experience in accounting/finance role with increasing levels of responsibility (ideally experience both with major audit firm and with a start-up); biotech/pharma experience preferred
- BS/BA degree in accounting; CPA a plus.
- Strong knowledge of QuickBooks; advanced MS Excel skills; experience with NetSuite, Bill.com a plus
- Highly organized and detail-oriented; can maintain high quality and accuracy while working quickly and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent technical accounting skills with a detailed understanding of current GAAP standards
- Comfortable in fast-moving, dynamic environments; able to multi-task, prioritize and respond quickly within a rapidly changing environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; able to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proactive, resourceful, self-starter with high integrity and accountability; able to work well independently and in team environment